Wednesday, July 28, 2010

 

Fear and Trembling

I'm pretty sure I don't really understand the concept of working out my salvation with fear & trembling.

In Philippians we're told to do it because God is at work in you (not "because your friend/employer/children, etc. are working you over"). He's working to do and to will for His pleasure.

So ... do all without grumbling, without disputing / prove yourselves to be blameless, holding fast the word of life.

Although I don't really grasp the concept of fear & trembling, I do get the sense that how I act and react (blameless/above reproach/without grumbling & disputing) has a greater impact or effect than I realize. I get the clear impression that I should be afraid for the results of reacting wrongly, knowing that whatever good I do will be repaid by God Himself, not the man/woman receiving the good and not the man/woman observing it.

If this was only slightly important he might have said "work out your salvation with kindness & forgiveness" Fear & trembling carries a lot of weight.

And ... how should I go be proving myself to be blameless, etc? Paul said - unto being poured out as a drink offering - even then I should rejoice that my "running" is not in vain, knowing that it is from the Lord that I will receive good back on me.

Lord, some times it's pretty hard to keep a focus on that. I pray I can. I've certainly learned in the past that I'd much rather be paid by you than by man. You're much more generous.

Comments:
Hi John,

"Fear and trembling" actually has to do with humility. Paul's main point in Phillipians is to have a servant's heart towards others as opposed to a prideful heart. I discuss in detail here if you want to check it out:
http://thebookofdavis.blogspot.com/2005/12/fear-and-trembling-part-i-philippians.html

God bless,
Michael
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]