Thursday, June 17, 2010

 

The blessing of Obed Edom

I've often wondered what it means that the Lord blessed Obed-Edom and his household. Did his tools not break? Were his kids obedient? Did he always have enough work to do?

The Ark was parked at his house for three months. This is because of the outburst of the Lord against Uzzah, because they did not transport the Ark according to God's ordinance.

We are told in 2Sam 6:11 "the Lord blessed Obed-Edom and all his household." Then, in 2Ch13:14 "the LORD blessed the family of Obed Edom with all that he had."

In 2Ch15:24 I see that the priests blew trumpets before the Ark, and Obed-Edom was a gatekeeper for the Ark. Finally, in 16:38 I see that Obed-Edom and his 68 relatives cared for the Ark - the ministered before the Ark, as every day required.

I see Obed-Edom's sons names listed in 2Ch26:4 along with the "editorial note" that God had indeed blessed him.

I have found at least one concrete way in which God blessed him and his family: We know that the LORD directs the lot. In 2Ch26:15 the lot fell to Obed-Edom, and "to his sons went the storehouse." They will never lack. What a blessing indeed.

But then, should I marvel at this when God has told me in Ephesians 1:3 that He has "blessed me with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ"? Thank you, Lord, for all the promises of blessing and provision you have given me in your word! I am blessed indeed.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]