Wednesday, April 28, 2010

 

Freaked out by Psalm 23

Woke up this morning quoting "yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil."

I don't know why that scripture was on my mind. Is this to prepare me for something? Is it a warning? I hate to think of what that could mean!

The Psalm says "fear no evil" yet that's exactly what awakening to it gave me - fear.

My death, well, at least if it's quick, doesn't scare me so much. But the thought of Lynda's does. Or one of my children, or grandchild. Okay, so it does say the valley of the shadow of death .. now it's scary to think of the possibility of not being able to mountain bike any more.

I began looking at cross references to "the Lord is my Shepherd." Many of them say "no fear."

Lord, I think I need to remind myself again that Your blessings are for the moment. For this moment. They are not mine to have & hold forever (at least the temporal blessings here on earth). And, if one blessing disappears, or is removed, that You have another, even greater, blessing awaiting me.

Lord, I can see that this is going to be a day of trust. I'm going to have to trust your goodness today. Surely goodness and lovingkindness has followed me all the days of my life. And, I know I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. My cup overflows!

So, help me today Lord, to be filled with trust and not with fear. I hate fear. And, by the way Lord, I didn't particularly like waking up to the 23rd Psalm. Today I'll try to remember Psalm 112: How blessed is the man who fears the Lord ... light arises in the darkness for him ... he will never be shaken ... he will not fear evil tidings, his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]