Wednesday, March 31, 2010

 

He is divine, I am debranch

There must be a reason for our remaining here in this evil-infested world that goes beyond just whether or not we bear fruit. I mean, if all God wants from Earth is more followers, He could just call them. That is, if you define “fruit” in the narrow sense of bringing others to salvation.

As I think about it, the teaching about fruit has more focus on the pruning than on the grape. The Father’s pruning makes us more like Him. I think it’s His way of taking something created (and quite mundane in comparison with Him) and making it more God-like. In other words: Good, by choice, holy by choice, loving & kind by choice, one with Him by choice. Ephesians 5:26f says “so that He might cleanse us and present us to Himself without spot, or wrinkle, holy and blameless.”

It’s too deep for me to really grasp today. Or maybe it’s just too simple. I believe that His leaving us here to bear fruit has a lot to do with the process, with learning about “remaining in the vine,” as Jesus said. Like in my discussion about “branding” with my friend, Guy. The “brand” is the by-product of what you do and how you do it. No branch can bear fruit “of its own,” or out of its own desire or effort.

In the spiritual life the goal isn’t necessarily the “fruit.” The goal is a healthy, well-pruned branch that knows how to abide in the vine. Fruit is the by-product. The goal is to be more like Jesus, maybe I should strike that and say the goal is to be more in Jesus. The result is fruit. Psalm 17:14,15.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]