Wednesday, December 30, 2009

 

Shall He do evil that good may come?

Romans 3:8 gives me relief to know that God does not injure so He can heal. He does not trouble so He can counsel. I was going to say He does not kill so that He may bring life. And yet I think of all the judgment passages where it sure seems to me that He does just that. I should probably separate out my thoughts about how He deals with the wicked and the redeemed.

There is much evil in this world. As a consequence, many bad things happen. Yet at times chosen by God, He steps in and stops some. Others He redeems, others just run their course. But in the midst of that I'm inclined to believe that He only allows into the lives of His children those things that He has chosen - for His own private reasons - reasons which I am not qualified to question.

So, I should be able to, or at least want to, believe that He is sort of a gatekeeper for my and my children's experiences. He does not allow things through that are beyond my, and their, ability to resist or respond. Although, as with me, so with my kids, He probably will not stop us if we crash the gate. But He will repair it and use it for good if we eventually turn to Him ... which we will if we are His.

So, it is good to know that evil may come, but when it does, redemption is not far behind. Jesus said "Everyone shall be salted with fire. Salt is good ..."

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]