Wednesday, October 28, 2009

 

How about today?

Matthew 6:34 - "Take no thought for the morrow, sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

As I read that I wonder how pervasive that attitude is supposed to be in me, in us? So much of my energy is focused on creating something for myself and my family that is better than it is today. So much so that I'm not too happy with today.

As I think of prayer I realize that all prayer looks forward. All prayer is asking for something to happen or be different in the future. Am I not supposed to be looking to the future, especially in prayer?

Then my mind is drawn to the prayer in the beginning of Matthew 6 - "give us this day ..." The focus of the Lord's prayer is upon what I do today. As I meditate my mind travels to Hebrews 3,4 where three times Psalm 95 is quoted "today if you hear His voice do not harden your heart."

I'm beginning to feel that my prayers and focus should be more on today and less on tomorrow. It's so easy to live so far in the future that I don't seek my rest or contentment for today. I keep thinking it will be better tomorrow ... when this is fixed, or that is paid off, or he finds Jesus, or this issue is finally resolved.

The only day I have to seek His kingdom is today. My thoughts and prayers are supposed to be primarily for today, not tomorrow. And if I hear Your voice, Lord, help me not to fear it, despise it, or doubt it.

Actually this reminds me of Romans 8 - the creation anxiously awaiting.

I am awaiting Your voice, Lord, but I'm also anxious about it. Afraid that it will be in the midst of another tragedy or another sacrifice. Something too hard or too weird for me. Father, forgive me for fearing you for evil, and for trusting that bad will happen. You are all good, all the time. Help me hear your voice today, for good - mine, or someone else's.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]